Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

Can I sue a police department who has more than 20 employees

Customer Question

Can I sue a police department who has more than 20 employees under the over age 40 for unfair employment practices. I had the training while the other individuals who were hired instead me me were only studying criminal justice. I have my BS and MS in Crimibal Justice Administration. Plus J have completed the Academy I am sure before these 4 individuals. They were hired because they have worked for the ND Prison system. I lack the police experience. I understand the hiring from the inside for employees making lateral transfers. I know that if I went to court for discrimination issues and they offer me employment that I will not last due to the fact that the administration will do everything to make it as hard as possible for me so I would quit the job. I did choose veterans preference. That still was not good enough. So I am seeking financial compensation due to discrimination of over the age 40+ years old. I would seek damages for 150,000. Can I do this. Thanks Steven Hetletvedt
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.
If you believe you can prove that you would have been hired but for the fact of your age, then you can sue for age discrimination. However, you cannot simply claim a number for your damages. Your damages are the amount of income you will lose as a result of this discriminatory hiring practice. If you quickly find another job, your damage may be very small. On the other hand, if you remain uenmployed despite your job seeking efforts for several months or longer, your damages could become substantial. Basically, the civil justice system aims to award damages that put people in the same position they would have been in had they not suffered a legal wrong. The objective is not to put people in a better position, so with rare exception damages are going to be linked to actual losses.
The pursue a claim you would want to file a complaint with the EEOC. See here for more information on that process: http://www.eeoc.gov/employees/howtofile.cfm
I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.
If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been turned down by 6 other departments and I know that each of these departments hired someone younger than me. I was told by one department when filling out app that I was qualified then I went through the rest of the process and they emailed me back and stated that I was not qualified. I even applied again with this sheriffs depart and they never even accepted ny application. Plus I never heard a thing from them. They are usually always looking for 6 deputies at any one time.
Thank you for the additional information, but I am not sure what more you are wanting to know. Can you clarify?