Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

I HAVE A GRANDSON WHO WORKED AUTO DEALERSHIP DETAILING AUTOS DAYS. THE FRI

Customer Question

I HAVE A GRANDSON WHO WORKED FOR THIS AUTO DEALERSHIP DETAILING AUTOS FOR 10 DAYS. THE FRIST 4 FOURDAYS HE EARN 200. DOLLARS.I SAID OK NOT BAD FRIST JOB AND ALL.BUT! THEN HE WORKED 6 DAYS AND THIS DEALERSHIP PAID HIM 100. DOLLARS......100. DOLLARS FOR 6 DAYS 8 HOURS A DAY !!!! I NEED HELP ON THIS ONE.OH BY THE WAY MY GRANDSON IS 17 YEARS OLD.HE'S TRYING TO EARN MONEY FOR THE NEXT SCHOOL YEAR.ON A SUMMER JOB. HIS FRIST WORK EXPERIENCE.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information. Although I don't see where you have asked a question, for now, in the interest of time, I will assume that you are asking what wage laws require in these situations. The Federal Fair Labor Standards Act, which Florida follows, says that although an employer is free to pay employees by the job or on commission, etc., their wages for the pay period must average out to at least minimum wage for all of the hours they worked.
So, your grandson, or his parents (or you), will want to add all of the pay that he receives in a workweek (or whatever the payperiod is) and then divide it by the number of hours he worked. If the gross pay does not average out to $8.05, then the employer owes him the difference between what he is getting paid and that amount. If the employer refuses, then your grandson and file a wage claim with the Wage and Hour Division of the U.S. DOL or file suit in small claims court. I would suggest the wage claim since it is free and it has the weight of the Federal Government behind the investigation.
Please let me know if you need any clarification.
Hello again,
I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the legal answer I provided to you on the 15th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (in the pop up box, which is how we get credit (paid) for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.
In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/
Thank you.