Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

If I am on unemployment and was offered a job and said yes

Customer Question

if I am on unemployment and was offered a job and said yes I had to make decision right there on spot. It is 20 hours a week at $10 an hour. After leaving while doing the math I will be making quite a bit less than I am on unemployment and will not be able to even come close to paying my bills I am a single mom. I was wondering if I could call them and let them know that it will not work at this time for me to take this job after I actually was able to sit with a clear mind to see if I would be able to live off of what I would make. Or would I lose my unemployment.
Thank you very much for your help
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under unemployment rules, if you do not take a job that does not come close to paying what you make on unemployment or is significantly less than your previous job, that is good cause for not taking the job and would not interfere with unemployment. You could, however, also take the job and apply to unemployment for "partial unemployment" since the job does not come close to what you are getting on unemployment benefits.
Those are your options.
Thank you for your reply. Please use the "reply" button to respond to me for follow up questions.
You asked:
"So if I understood you correctly I can let them know that I will not be taking the job and that I don't have to mention when I file my weekly claim that I was offered a job, because it will be significantly less than what I was making before I was laid
off."
You can turn this job down. When you file your weekly claim you do not mention you turned down any employment. You just state that you did not get any employment.