Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  15 years practicing attorney
19958803

In the comm of mass if someone has a non compete and has been

Customer Question

In the comm of mass if someone has a non compete and has been denied unemployment can the non compete be enforced
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Unfortunately, the person's status as to whether they are eligible for unemployment or not doesn't have anything to to with the enforceability of a non compete contract. Unless there is something in the contract that specifically states that it is not enforceable if the employee is denied unemployment, then that wouldn't act as a waiver of the enforcement of the contract.
.
There are typically two reasons an employee would be denied benefits after a separation from their employer...a voluntary quit, or if they were terminated for misconduct. But neither of these affect the written non-compete contract.
.
So to answer your question directly, yes, employer can attempt to enforce the non-compete even if the former employee has been denied unemployment.
.
.
thanks