Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I have a question about how to protect my executive director

Customer Question

I have a question about how to protect my executive director (I'm on the board of a small nonprofit) from continued harassment from a terminated employee.
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The corporation is a small nonprofit in DC. The director reports that she and other women in the office felt threatened by this person, already. He was terminated for non-performance and for behavior towards one of the board members (not me). Apparently, he did not qualify for unemployment benefits given the manner of his discharge and is angry and a recent message is suggesting he is focused on getting her fired. I'm just looking for general guidance, consistent with DC law, that would identify whether a cease and desist email is appropriate, how it should be phrased, should it come from her or the chair of the board, and any other step to end this, including ignore it without jeopardizing legal standing/defense to subsequent action from the person. Thanks.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The first thing you do is you send him a letter and inform him clearly, "You have been calling our office or contacting or making attempts to contact our employees. Such continued contact is no longer welcomed and we are asking you cease and desist any efforts at further contact. Should you continue in your conduct, we will be forced to take legal action to stop the unwanted and unwelcomed contact that serves no legitimate purpose other than to annoy, intimidate and harass." Send this by certified mail return receipt and regular mail to make sure you have a proper proof of sending it as emails can get lost or go to spam or could be claimed to not have been received. It should come from the ENTIRE board of the organization.
If he does not stop then you can go to court and file a civil suit for harassment and seek a restraining order.