John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I do not have many years of employment , not enough to get

Customer Question

I do not have many years of employment , not enough to get Social Security, but I am disabled and want to apply for disability ; Would I have a chance for it because my injury is under worker's compensation and I have been on worker's compensation for
10 years and my income for that ends in October, Can I collect disability?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Generally you have to have 40 credirs, but the number of work credits needed for disability benefits depends on your age when you become disabled. However, younger workers may qualify with fewer credits.
The rules are as follows:
Before age 24--You may qualify if you have 6 credits earned in the 3-year period ending when your disability starts.
Age 24 to 31--You may qualify if you have credit for working half the time between age 21 and the time you become disabled. For example, if you become disabled at age 27, you would need credit for 3 years of work (12 credits) out of the past 6 years (between ages 21 and 27).
Age 31 or older--In general, you need to have the number of work credits shown in the chart below.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing positive feedback; it is the only way I get credit for the knowledge I share. Thanks.