N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Lawyer
Experience:  Since 1983
9653905

I work at a university and today I had my yearly evaluation,

Customer Question

Hi. I work at a university and today I had my yearly evaluation, and my supervisor accidentally sent a copy of it to one or more of the university list serves. So many people have a copy of my evaluation. I feel completely violated. Is there any recourse?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

I regret to have to inform you that "New York does not recognize a legal claim for the publication of private facts", as stated at
http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/publication-private-facts-new-york

However, if the list included addresses outside the State of New York, you may have a claim under the laws of another State.

If all the recipients were in NY, you have no claim. If any were in another State, please tell me and I will check the laws there to see if you have a claim outside NY.

I understand this is not the answer you had hoped for, but it would be unfair to you, and unprofessional of me, not to provide accurate information.

You could ask the sender to send another email explaining that the evaluation was sent by mistake and asking all recipients to delete it.

I hope this information is helpful.