Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Years of experience in running a medium sized law firm.
7286322

I live in Texas and have a non-compete with a former employer.

Customer Question

I live in Texas and have a non-compete with a former employer. I was terminated without cause and no explanation when the company was sold. Is my non-compete still valid?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:
(A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. This is repeated in numerous disclaimers throughout the site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; and (B) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
I am very sorry to hear about this situation. On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times. I understand that hearing things less than optimal is not easy, and I empathize. Thanks in advance for not "shooting the messenger."
Yes, the non-compete is still valid.
A non-compete is valid regardless of how the employment relationship ended. Unless the non-compete itself differentiates between being terminated and leaving voluntarily (and I doubt it does), then it applies the same way in either scenario.
However, note that non-competes in Texas are also limited. They must be reasonable in scope and duration. if they are not, then they may be "curtailed" back to the point of being reasonable by the Court.
If you want to know more about how to do this, simply reply.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.