Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

My employer hasn't given us a raise in 7 years and keeps promising

Customer Question

My employer hasn't given us a raise in 7 years and keeps promising us but says she has no money but in the meantime she hires new people and gives them pay raises. One admin asst quit ( she worked 35 hour weeks) and now my employer expects me to take on her entire job with no increase in pay. ( she is picketing the saved salary) is this legal? Can I refuse? I am not a full time employee
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today.

I'll need to ask you some preliminary questions before I can give you an answer to your question. Are you in a union or do you otherwise have a contract that dictates what you must be paid? Do you think the owner has some animus against you, perhaps your age, race, gender, disability or religious beliefs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No union , no contract, yes my religion
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Can you explain further the animus toward you and your religion?