Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  In-House Counsel & Litigator
12711280

Can leave of absence, in the state of CO(I'm thinking it's

Customer Question

Can leave of absence, in the state of CO(I'm thinking it's federal tho) spread out the leave of three months over a period of 6 -9months? So, not using it all at once but spreading it out? Thanks!
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is regarding FMLA for an ill parent.
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
I hope this message finds you well. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of employment law experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.
The answer to the question is yes, though there are some caveats. You must have the necessary accumulated leave time to spread out over this period and still retain your benefits.
For instance, in order to maintain your health coverage, you typically have to be able to use 8 hours of accumulated leave time per week.
So, the answer is technically yes, but you have to have in your possession leave time available to cover your absence and maintain benefits.
If you have no benefits, then your leave of absence being spread out in this manner is up to the employer, if a private entity.
Let me know if you have any other questions or comments.
Best wishes going forward and please rate my answer positively.
***Yes, you can use FMLA leave in this way as well - spread out over a period of time, until you run out of accumulated FMLA leave.
Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks so much!!
My pleasure! If you don't mind, please rate my answer positively so that I can receive credit for my work. Best wishes!
Did you have any other questions or comments. I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks!