Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

As Rn on duty as a medication and floor nurse my co has told

Customer Question

as Rn on duty as a medication and floor nurse my co has told me I have to leave my floor and go outside property to apt and villas to answer calls for help I work at a large complex and must evaluate caller from falls to tv remote assess call 911 if needed is it ethicial to leave my residents to answer these calls due to no supervisor on duty
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If they have a LPN or other qualified person to supervise your patients on the floor for a temporary absence for you to leave the premises, the employer has a right to impose such a reasonable rule. If there is not at least an LPN on duty to relieve you when you leave, then this could be deemed patient abandonment so you would have a basis to file a complaint with the PA Board of Nursing and the PA Department of Heath which regulates these facilities and they would have to investigate the situation.