Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I am from Michigan and I abhor union busting.Before the group homes ca

Customer Question

I am from Michigan and I abhor union busting.
Before the group homes came into existence, people with mental illness were put into state-run facilities (sometimes institutions).What were the employees of these state facilities paid, and were they part of a union as state employees, and if so, what happened to that system where now we have minimum-wage earners in group homes under subcontracted companies doing this work.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Each state institution did pay their own wages for different positions. It depended on the position as to what the employees were paid and in the state facilities they were members of the state employee's union. There is no way we can tell you the pay scales from back that long ago and as you know it varied over time. However, even though those employees were union workers, those state institutions were closed because of the unhealthy, unsanitary and unsafe environments of those institutions.