Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I have been terminated by my employer. They have an HR grievance

Customer Question

I have been terminated by my employer. They have an HR grievance procedure. It is a three level procedure (immediate supervisor, department head, Vice President). Their termination was upheld at the first two levels. There is a requirement that I be notified of the results within ten days. I had the grievance heard by the Vice President eight weeks ago. I have never been contacted as to the results. Do I have any recourse against the company?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.
Unfortunately, these sort of internal policies do not generally create binding legal obligations on the employer. So, even if you could prove that there was a violation of policy, that in itself would not give rise to any legal claim. This means that all you can do is attempt to reason with HR and continue to ask for a final decision. You cannot, however, force them to notify you of their decision, much less force them to continue employing you because they did not satisfy this notice requirement.
I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.
If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.