John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I participated in a defined benefit pension plan. I have a

Customer Question

I participated in a defined benefit pension plan. I have a letter from several years ago confirming the monthly payments and the start date of payments. First payment is due, company will not respond to inquiries. If they cannot make payments, does federal pension protection help?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today.
Who you really need to get a hold of is the plan administrator; not the company. The company may have changed hands etc., and may not even no who you are. The company made contributions to a plan that should have been administered in accord with the law. You don't know yet the status of the plan; whether it's funded or whether its in jeopardy. So, what I'd suggest you do is contact the Department of Labor - Employee Benefits Security Administration to request the most recent plan information. The Department keeps all plan documents and filing and will have the best and most recent information on the plan. It very well be that the plan was terminated/ abandoned and there are funds sitting in escrow for you with the Department or otherwise. You can contact the Department through their website here:
http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/contactEBSA/consumerassistance.html
Once you have that information you'll then be able to make a claim on the plan or discuss with the DOL whether the plan is bankrupt and your portion of funds.
I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.