Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

An employer in an "At Will" State, made my friend sign a two-

Customer Question

An employer in an "At Will" State, made my friend sign a two- year employment contract and then separately, made him sign a prommisory note for the hiring fee the company paid to a recruiter if my friend leaves the company within two years! Legal??
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard Unfortunately, there is nothing illegal about this from what you present in your facts. An employment contract may be offered and it can be accepted or declined. As to the Promissory Note, it is not unheard of that an employer will pay a recruiter and then request the employee repay it if they do not stay employed for a certain period of time.I am curious however, if the Contract has any provisions in it as to if he should be terminated? Or if he can still be terminated at will? Also what happens to the Promissory note if he is terminated before the 2 year contract? In other words, what protections are there for your friend, if you know.