Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.
18572087

Citizens of Town of Derry NH - Town Council PUBLIC meeting

Customer Question

Citizens of Town of Derry NH - Town Council PUBLIC meeting for the 2016 town budget.
As residents, several of us were asked to leave the public meeting and some were removed by local PD per the town Chairman for comments made about transparentcy to the council members and the public. This was a PUBLIC meeting and by removing us was a violation of our right to assembly - and the public was not allowed to Speak, Applause,or Voice opinion which vilolated our 1st amendment right to freedom of speech.
This was NOT a angry mob and was not done in any way other then to disagree with what was being presented unfairly to the public. The town chairman referred to the audiance as a mob and thuds. Their was suppose to be a public form but the council pull out and adjound the meeting as soon as they placed there vote which has discriminated against the citizen of the town of Derry nh.
Is there anything we can do?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
A 'public' meeting can still be claimed to have become unruly, and under that auspice remove participants. This was indeed a public meeting, but the rules of such a meeting still govern--that means that if the chairperson stated that he or she is seeking quiet and will not take comments from the audience, that is permitted. What this may be, however, is a 'wrongful institution of civil proceedings', specifically if anyone was charged with trespass or with disturbing the peace via a claim for retaliation, it can create a basis for suit against the council for violating the rights of the participants. Likewise you have a basis to review the town charter and figure out how to start a grass roots campaign to recall one or all of the members of the governing body, have elections, and remove them from their positions.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
My apologies but I do not engage in phone calls via this site. I will be happy to discuss as per this question, but I cannot call you.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there anything I can do at this time?
I am sorry, to do about what exactly?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Legal Discussion by Email. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Hello, I do not understand your question. Can you please clarify? What to do about what, exactly?