Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

There was a girl at work that was stealing narcotic meds out

Customer Question

There was a girl at work that was stealing narcotic meds out of my purse and another girls purse. Unfortuneatly, at the time, we were all friends.She is the office manager. Because we do sedation at work and employees come and go ( including the girl who stole our meds ) to dispense those meds. Both the other girl and I decided to go to our boss and report it. I did not give a name but the other girl did. She was fired two weeks later. (My boss let the girl who stole her meds fire her...real nice.) My boss decided to have a morning meeting with everyone after we told him, the whole time he was discussing the event he was staring directly at me, which in return had everyone else staring at me. I don't think everyone in the office needed to know that I take meds for fibromyalgia or that I was the narc. Extremely uncomfortable. He never addressed the incident with the girl who stole our meds and she still works there making my life fn miserable now and I feel my boss lets her get away with it. ( also my relationship with my boss went in the toilet after that and he's been nasty) . I know your answer will bw to find other employment but the fact is , is that it has taken me 8 yrs within this company to get where I am financially, I'm 55 yrs old with fibromyalgia. I am angry as hell that I have to feel uncomfortable like this for doing the right thing. What legal rights do I have if I start backlashing at this girl and I get fired ??
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Stealing is a criminal violation. If you did not report it to the police, you should have and if it happens again you should file a police report and have the person arrested. If you reported a criminal act to your boss and he and the other person are now retaliating against you for doing so, this can be a basis to sue the employer for illegal retaliation, since you reported a criminal offense to the employer and the only action they took was to retaliate against you. Doctors are supposed to account for medications and stealing any medications, including from other employees, is something they should have taken action on.
So you do have a chance to seek to sue the employer for retaliation and seek damages. I would actually consider getting a local attorney to consider suing your employer over the incident and you have the other employee who was fired as a witness for you.