John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I resigned from the business that I work. I gave a little

Customer Question

I resigned from the business that I work. I gave a little over a two week notice and because it was an at will hospital was told me I could leave that day. I did ask about the time I had accrued and was told it would be payed. I still have not received the money. What are my options?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today.
They committed a federal wage violation by not paying you anything for your last day(s) or week(s) service to them. Since Florida does not have a state collection system, I'd recommend you file a federal wage complaint. Your other option is to file a small claims complaint, but then you have to pay money to file the claim and have them served and presumably spend a morning in court. My thoughts are, as such, that it would be easier for you to just file a federal complaint, which you can do here: http://www.dol.gov/wecanhelp/howtofilecomplaint.htm
Once they get notice from the department of labor I'm sure they'll rectify the matter very quickly, because they do not want the department of labor breathing down their necks for certain.
I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.