Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I resigned under allegations that i did not pay

Customer Question

i resigned under allegations that i did not pay for a coca cola which was tracted by a "viper system" being a phramacist i got a job with another company Now the original company is buying the company i now work for do they have the right to terminate me when the hr dept references my ss number since i resigned at the first company
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.
Unfortunately, they would have the right to let you go. The reason is because employment in the state of Virginia is "at will" absent an express agreement to the contrary. At will employment can be terminated for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination is fair, reasonable or even true.
As termination under these circumstances does not implicate any of the limited exceptions to the at will employment doctrine, it would not violate any law, despite being unfair and highly unfortunate.
I hope that you find this information helpful and am genuinely sorry if it is not what you were hoping to hear. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.
If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.