Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  25 yrs. of experience in employment law, real estate and business law, family law, criminal defense and immigration.
20073497

My boss has been pressuring our team to work faster and do

Customer Question

My boss has been pressuring our team to work faster and do so while taking our lunch and not clocking overtime. However, our clinic has increased volume of patient's seen by 22%. As a result, I've been skipping breaks and not clocking OT so as not to affect the budget of the clinic. Now, I'm being called into a special meeting to talk about my speed. In addition, because I told my coworkers about this meeting, I'm being told that I have been harassing my coworkers! I couldn't be more sympathetic and kind to my coworkers. What can I do other than getting a new job?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you
First, please let me say that I know how much pressure is placed on nurses. My daughter is in nursing school and interacts a great deal with patients during her clinicals. She is always saying that their professors are constantly stressing to them that although speed is necessary, it should never be by sacrificing the accuracy of treatment and the safety of each patient, so I know exactly the pressure that is being placed on you and if anything must be sacrificed it must be speed and not accuracy.
1. Do you belong to a Union ?
2. Do you have a written employment agreement with your employer setting forth your duties, and your rights to take a break or lunch, etc. ?
Thank you, and I look forward to your reply. After you have sent your reply, please give me a few minutes to check some things and then to type your Answer,
ANDREA
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No union at this hospital or I would be consulting them. Yes, the agreement is for 30 minute lunch break and four 10 hour work days. However the patients are scheduled in such a way that there is almost always a patient present during the lunch hour. Either a patient is added during the lunch hour or there are so many morning patients for the doctor to see that he runs behind. As a result we finish our morning often times at 1 pm.
You asked,
"What can I do other than getting a new job?"
ANSWER - I am sure that I am not telling you something that you do not already know when I say that the line of work you are in already has its own built in pressure points. Any time that an individual deals in human life, he or she will always be working under pressure. Your supervisor/boss is adding needless pressure and this inevitably leads to mistakes, mistakes caused by your boss and not you.
Since you are not protected by any union, the only solution is to find the time to look for a similar position, but with another medical provider. However, in the meantime, you need to protect yourself against baseless accusations by your boss. In order to do this, you will have to keep a fairly accurate daily log by date and time of day that your boss either accused you without reason, or added additional pressure on you for no reason, thereby creating an unsafe environment for one or more patients. Working 10-hour days with only a 30 minute "lunch break" is dangerous to the well being and proper care of patients. I realize that you have a tremendous work load, so you will have to try to maintain some type of mental notes during the day until you have a few seconds to write the events in your daily log. I know that this will be difficult, but your boss has not given you any reason to believe that she will ever speak up in your defense, should it ever become necessary. Your boss also strikes me as the type of person who would shift the blame onto you, if anything ever happened, rather than stand up and take responsibility for her actions. That is why it becomes even more obvious why need to maintain these notes - Your reputation is at stake and you should not allow a person like your boss to ruin your reputation in your chosen profession.
I do not envy your position, but I am fully aware of bosses such as yours. They use the people they supervise, as stepping stones to make themselves look better and to get ahead, and all at your expense. Other than keeping accurate notes of what actually is going on and simultaneously looking for a better employer, and better work environment, the only thing you can do is to keep accurate notes in order to protect yourself and your reputation. I will keep you in my prayers, I promise,
________________________________________________________________
Please be kind enough to leave a Positive Rating so that JustAnswer gives me credit for assisting you,
Positive Feedback and Bonus are always appreciated and helps me continue to support as many ASPCA organizations as I can,
Kindest Regards,
ANDREA
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your advice. This is so unfortunate. I'm in a relatively high paying job. The subspecialty, perinatology, makes these jobs few and far between. I'm taking a big pay cut to go elsewhere. My manager has ruined what was otherwise an intrinsicly satisfying job. Since she took over the department 2 and a half years ago, I am her 5th target of defamation and false accusations. I wish there were a way to stop her. She is targeting smart, successful, caring employees.
You had not mentioned that your boss was actually spreading false statements about you to others. If this is the case, you might very well have a good cause of action against your boss for slander, defamation of character, and if your boss put any of the false statements in writing and conveyed these to a third person, you can add libel to your lawsuit. In any such lawsuit, you as the Plaintiff would have the "burden of proof" of the following elements of the causes of action -
1. Your boss made defamatory statements about you
2. These statements were made to a third person
3. The statements were false
4. You suffered damages as a result of these defamatory statements
When you prove the above elements at trial, you would be entitled to damages. You never know, this might very well be just what your boss needs in order to put a stop to her unprofessional and hurtful conduct.
__________________________________________________________
Kindest Regards,
ANDREA
Hi, I see that you have had the opportunity to review all my Answers, Is there anything you would like me to clarify? Please let me know, If not please be kind enough to leave a Positive rating. It will NOT cost you anything to leave a Positive Rating, but it is necessary for JustAnswer to give me credit for Answering your questions, Thank you for understanding,
Kindest Regards,
ANDREA