Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

I am wondering if I have right to be paid more when I idea

Customer Question

I am wondering if I have right to be paid more when I idea of mine 15 years ago help the company I work for, grew from that idea? My companies catalog options went from 50 pages to 350.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today. I bring nearly 20 years of experience in various legal disciplines.
That really depends on a few things.
The first problem that you have is that your idea was 15 years ago. If you're trying to claim that they stole your idea, then your claim really started when they began using the idea. If that was 15 years ago, then you've lost any ability to sue because your statute of limitations has run out.
The second problem though is whether or not you actually would have had a claim to begin with....and that is an issue of rights. If you were working for the company and gave the idea to the company as part of your regular employment, they wouldn't owe you anything more for the idea. They were paying you your regular wage and the idea sprung from that wage.
Now, if you thought of this on your own time and presented it to them in a different way, you'd still have the first issue of the statute of limitations having long run.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I get charged $38.00 for coversation if I have 3 or 4 more questions?
Thankyou
Michael Walz
I'm sorry, I'm just seeing your second question.
No, you don't get charged per question, but rather, per topic. You can ask reasonable follow up questions in this topic and then just accept the final response so that I'm rated for my service.