Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I want to file an age discrimination case under the dc human

Customer Question

i want to file an age discrimination case under the dc human rights act, DC Code section 2-1403. It happened in late june of 2014 and I filed with the eeoc. I did not follow-up and my letter to sue came in November of 2014, but DC has human right law that gives me a year. Can I file under DC law without doing anything else?
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I know I did not file a claim based on the ADEA within the 90 days of the right to sue letter, but I am still within the 1 year statue of limitations under the DC human rights acts, so am I okay. Should I immediately contact the EEOC again and see if my case was referred to the DC human right commission or should I call the commission or just file.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This isCustomer I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
I know I did not file a claim based on the ADEA within the 90 days of the right to sue letter, but I am still within the 1 year statue of limitations under the DC human rights acts, so am I okay. Should I immediately contact the EEOC again and see if my case was referred to the DC human right commission or should I call the commission or just file
Response: Contact EEOC again to see if your case was referred to the DC Human Rights Commission and then go from there. You do not want to be opening up a duplicate case and further complicating matters.