Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I am A teacher/coach who was demoted from my coaching position

Customer Question

I am A teacher/coach who was demoted from my coaching position because I was considered a bad teacher. I was told that I can still coach but as an assistant to the person that quit because he felt he was being overshadowed by me. My other former assistant told me that this is only temporary. The reason this is temporary is because the principal is bringing in his buddy to take my position. He said he was told this by the principal and to keep quiet.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.

My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and counseling experience in these types of matters, and I’m happy to assist you with your question today. I’m sorry to hear about your termination of employment.

I'll need to ask you some preliminary questions before I can give you an answer to your question. Are you in a union or do you otherwise have a contract for "just cause" (as opposed to “at will" employment which is the default employment condition)? Do you think the manager who demoted you had an ulterior motive in demoting you, perhaps your age, race, gender, disability or religious beliefs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I am in an organization that would be considered a union. I am under a contract. No I believe I was demoted due to what some would calm the buddy system.

Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Have you examined the grievance process in your union contract, that would be the first step in the process.