LegalKnowledge, Attorney
Experience:  9+ years handling Legal, Real Estate, Criminal Law, Family Law, Traffic matters.
9540344

If i buy a new health insurance plan to replace my current

Customer Question

If i buy a new health insurance plan to replace my current plan, is my new company required to notify the old company so they previous plan could be terminated
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  LegalKnowledge replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon. Why is a new plan being bought? You will be going from coverage provided by your employer to private coverage on your own?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No this was done previously and it was not employer. It is just a question. Is the new insurance company required to notify the current insurance company that they are replacing the policy?

No, they are not. The insured would simply call the old company, once they knew the new policy was obtained and cancel the policy as of _____ date and then the new policy would take effect, the day after. A new insurance company does not contact an old company, as there is no need to.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is the insurance agent required to notify them?

It would be the responsibility of the insured, if needed. The insurance agent simply provides the plan. Moreover, the old company may ask for proof of new coverage and if they do, for whatever reason, then the insured can provide that.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!