Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

WE HAVE A COUPLE OF PEOPLE IN OUR OFFICE GOING TO SCHOOL ON

Customer Question

WE HAVE A COUPLE OF PEOPLE IN OUR OFFICE GOING TO SCHOOL ON AN ALTERED SCHEDULE @ WORK. WHEN I ASKED TO ALTER MY SCHEDULE FOR SCHOOL BY 30 MINUTES A DAY I WAS TURNED DOWN. IS THIS DESCRIMINATION UNDER THE EQUAL OPPORTUNITY LAWS IN Kansas?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard
When there are policies in the work place, they need to apply to all employees equally across the board. So if the other employees are in the same work classification as you and they are getting this benefit, then it should extend to you. If it does not, it could be a basis for discrimination.
But it is not a discrimination matter for the EEOC as they only handle discrimination matters dealing with race, religion, age, gender, a disability or national origin.
However, if you feel the discrimination is taking place because of one of those factors, then you can file a complaint with the EEOC.