Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer
26798026

I believe my employer has told employees about a medical condition.

Customer Question

I believe my employer has told employees about a medical condition. Is this legal?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
Medical privacy laws unfortunately do not apply to employees. Those laws refer to what medical providers or insurance companies must do to protect the privacy of a patient's information. Anything that you tell to your employer, or physical records that you give him, are not protected.
It is absolutely, 100% inappropriate and unprofessional for your employer to share your medical information with anyone who doesn't strictly need to know for employment reasons. But it's unfortunately not illegal. What you can do, if there is an HR department, is report the violation. Or if there's someone above the person who shared the information, report it to them. The only other recourse is to discuss with your employer creating a policy that will avoid this situation in the future.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.