Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have a case with Unemployment fraud case from 2008. I was

Customer Question

I have a case with Unemployment fraud case from 2008. I was working and drawing Unemployment at the same time. I received letter from the Unemployment office last year about how much I owe..and as of April 9, 2015 it reads....(Overpayment: $3,456..... Penalty:$15,141.74......Interest: $562.62.......Balance: $19,160.36). I checked my house phone messages and I see a Law Officer called me 5 days agoa and asked me to give him a call. So I know Unemployment handed my case over to the Law Officer. I been on line trying to figure out what I should do before I call the Law Officer. Oh by the way...I was laid off work in December for one week. I went to file for Unemployment and they kept the whole check $268.00. Unemployment also used my taxes for debt purpose...State check for $279.00 and my Federal tax for $6,939. So now I owe them $12,000 and something
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.
Hello there --
-
Can you tell me how many weeks that you collected an unemployment check while you were working in 2008?
-
Did you appeal the determination to a judge or did you simply accept their findings?
-
When did you start paying 20 dollars per month and when did it stop?
-
MARY
-
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure how many weeks it was..but I believe some months and you can only claim up to 5 or 6 months. Back some months ago Unemployment sent me a letter showing my earnings and what I received from them every two weeks........................ No I never appealed the determination to a judge.. I accepted their findings in the matter. I want to say that I started paying the $20 around August of last year off and on.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This isCustomer I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
Response: You need to contact the "Law Officer" to find out what he is calling about. Make sure to have your notice from April ready to discuss it with the "officer." However, it appears that this may not be a "Law Officer" at all but a debt collector who has been given the debt to collect. So, you need to be careful what information that you provide to this “officer” because any information obtained during your discussion may be used to collect the debt such as your current employer, bank accounts, or other assets.