John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I was terminated from my job, yesterday (5/18) after fifteen

Customer Question

I was terminated from my job, yesterday (5/18) after fifteen years of service. My reason for dismissal was that I did not fulfill a personal improvement plan that HR and my supervisor put together. I had 2 bad performance reviews during those 15 years. My 2013 review was negative because of no ones fault but my own. I was told during that review that I would have monthly meetings with my supervisor thru out the year of 2014. I had no monthly meetings.
My 2014 review I was blindsided by numerous job performance issues that were falsely fabricated by some of my co-workers for my supervisor. I was not able to defend myself against any of those accusations.
My supervisor has held a personal vendetta against me since I was somewhat disgruntled when I let my feelings show, being passed over for a promotion.
I was given 90 days starting on 2/9, to improve my performance, which I believe I did. Upon arriving at work last night, (5/18) my supervisor met me in the parking lot, and gave me my termination notice.
I was unable to go to my locker and get any personal info that might help, and sure it is being shredded as we speak.
I am sure all the eyes are dotted and Ts crossed on the companies part, but are just wondering if anything can/should be done. Thanks
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. I'm sorry to hear about your job loss.
I'll need to ask you some preliminary questions before I can give you an answer to your question. Are you in a union or do you otherwise have a contract for "just cause" (as opposed to “at will" employment which is the default employment condition)? Did the employer have any type of internal appeal or grievance process in its personnel manual? Do you think the manager(s) who terminated you had an ulterior motive in terminating you, perhaps your age, race, gender, disability or religious beliefs?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not in a uunion po $ibly he had personal issu S so with me my job performance was always good
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
The only thing I can tell you with the information you gave me is that Illinois like most states is an employment at will state - meaning you can be disciplined or terminated for any reason that is not otherwise a violation of law. These exceptions are the civil rights protections (e.g., age, race, sex, religion), violations of public policy (e.g., fired for attending jury duty, for refusing to break the law, for reporting illegal activity by the employer (aka a "whistleblower violation"), or having some contractual right to a just cause employment (meaning the employer cannot terminate you without industrial due process - which basically insures a fair and accurate investigation and decision). Without any of these exceptions, courts find that the employer has a legitimate business right to operate its business however it sees fit and the court will not second-guess the employer. These policies and decisions may in fact be awful and clearly not fair or even make good business sense. However, they are not ultimately unlawful.
If the supervisor has a vendetta against you for your attitude, that is not an exception to the "at will" doctrine. We would need some evidence - such as your being discriminated against for your age, race or gender.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks a lot
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. Please leave a positive rating before you exit this chat as it is the only way I get credit for my answers. You are not charged any additional fee by the website for positively rating my question, but if you do not positively rate my question I do not get credit for my answers. If you have any questions in the future regarding this matter come back to this thread and I'll be happy to answer. Thanks and good luck with the matter.