Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

I was given a suspension without pay"until further

Customer Question

I was given a suspension for cause without pay"until further notice".with no return date. what are my options thank you
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today. I bring nearly 20 years of experience in various legal disciplines.
Unfortunately, if you do not have a contract of employment that specifically states that you can only be terminated for cause, it is legal to suspend you without pay. This is called 'at will' employment, and in such an employment status (without a contract), you can legally be terminated or suspended at any time.
To force their hand, I would apply for unemployment. This requires them to be able to demonstrate to the state why you shouldn't receive benefits.