Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

I have an issue at work.. Have a manager that dislikes me.

Customer Question

I have an issue at work.. Have a manager that dislikes me. I was assistant nurse namager and have stepped down in my position because I could not tolerate the bullying.... But I made up another excuse for why I stepped down because I did not think that they would allow me to continue to work there. I wanted to just come to work, do my job and go home... But she continues to find the least excuse to haul me in and " discipline" or threaten " discipline".. Even when she doesn't discipline other employees for same thing... I feel like she is continuing this to get me to break and leave entirely.. I am 59 years old and it is not easy to get a job that have the hours that I have ... so it feels like a hostile environment and harassment... But I don't know if that is considered that by law. Or whether I have a leg to stand on.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you today. I bring nearly 20 years of experience in various legal disciplines.
Hostile work environment has a very specific legal meaning. It does not, as it seems, refer to a workplace containing general harassment. Instead it only refers to a workplace that contains harassment based on race, religion, gender, age, disability or recent FMLA use. This definition comes from the U.S. Supreme Court and isn't subject to any greater interpretation, unfortunately. (Likewise, "harassment" has the same narrow meaning in employment law).
So, unless you can allege that the basis for this manager's treatment of you is your race, religion, gender, age, disability or FMLA use, you would not have a claim here.
If you can allege one of those motivations, then you should contact the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission in your state, as they are the entity tasked with investigating and preserving such claims.