John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I am is 66 years old and my employer has formally accepted

Customer Question

I am is 66 years old and my employer has formally accepted my 6 month notice of retirement. My supervisor is now aggressively pursuing job improvement from me and I am concerned that he wants to fire me. Is it legal to fire me now that I am 5 months away from retirement?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
No law per se protects someone from being terminated once they announce retirement from an organization. The issue would be deeper than that. The issue is whether the manager or employer in general is treating you adversely because either a) your age, or b) to prevent you from vesting a retirement benefit; both of which are illegal.
Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today.
How do you prove this treatment is because of either of these factors? You prove it by comparison to others not in those categories with similar situations (i.e. same job, same behavior) being treated more favorably. What this would mean in your situation is a younger or non-retiring person having committed the same or similar actions but not being disciplined.
You'll need to file a charge with the equal employment opportunity commission (EEOC) to pursue the age discrimination matter, and I'm of the belief even if your not totally sure you have an EEOC charge to file one any way to avoid being fired. The employer will likely not take any action against you while a EEOC complaint is going for fear of a retaliation claim (it's illegal to fire someone for filing a complaint) and it will take longer than 5 months for the EEOC to investigate the matter. http://www.eeoc.gov/employees/howtofile.cfm
I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers; otherwise the website just keeps your payment and doesn’t credit me at all. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.
Expert:  John replied 1 year ago.
I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.