Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer
26798026

I work company and they bought another company they merged

Customer Question

I work for a company and they bought another company they merged with us 3 1/2 months ago in the state of Texas the newly acquired have health, dental and vision- how long do they have to offer it to the other 50 employee a our site? Or do they have to?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
Employers with fewer than 50 employees are not required to offer health insurance. If they choose to do so, the insurance must be offered to all employees who work at least 30 hours per week (and their spouses/children).
It sounds like the new company has more than 50 employees, though, they are required to provide coverage. Talk to the HR Department if there is one or a manager if there isn't.
If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply without rating so I may address them. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively to redirect a portion of the payment you have already made so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You mis-understood my question there are about 45 employees total for both locations-the other company that merged with us HAS insurance but we at the other office 12 of us have NOT been offered insurance- I know the law on less than 50- if the new office has insurance are they required to offer it to our office at any time- they bought them 3 months ago.- is there a time frame in which they have to offer it to our office (in the state of texas)
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for clarifying.
If they're giving to any employees, the rest of the employees should have been offered it when they started working for the new company. There isn't any grace period. Employees have 31 days from the date they're hired to enroll, so the employer should be telling employees about the coverage immediately.
Here are the rules for health care for small employers in Texas.
http://www.tdi.texas.gov/pubs/consumer/cb040.html