wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits
16356563

I had a nervous breakdown due to psychological harassment in

Customer Question

I had a nervous breakdown due to psychological harassment in a major corp. I reported my manager as he constantly yelled and belittled me. I requested a transfer to another dept. I was not allowed to leave the group, and the manager made my life hell when he found out I reported him. 5 years later, I was the only one in my group asked to leave, or transfer to another state. I transferred, still under the same manager. He is now back to the psychological harassment, and I feel is trying to get me to leave my job. I am in severe emotional duress and afraid if I have another breakdown, I will be fired. What are my rights?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  wallstreetfighter replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome.
My name is***** am a Licensed practicing attorney and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
This is an unfortunate situation, under TX law an employer can treat any employee in any way they wish, unless the reason for the harassment is due to the employees, gender, race, age or some other protected civil right.
If the manager is making work hard for you due to his actions, you need to send written letters to HR complaining of the situation, and in some rare cases, a constructive discharge lawsuit may be possible.
A constructive discharge is when an employer makes life so hard, that the employee feels they have no other option but to quit, if this is the case the letters are your evidence that the employer knew of the treatment and failed to take action.
If you want to try a constructive discharge case, have an Attorney send the letters and threaten legal action as well.
This will usually force the employer to take action against the manager.
Good luck, and if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.
If satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback, thank you