Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I know someone who suffered a lot of emotional distress from

Customer Question

I know someone who suffered a lot of emotional distress from a hostile work environment. After getting unlawfully fired from that job, the person continued to suffer emotional distress but never sought treatment with a doctor or in a hospital but was praying
to God for healing. The person wants to file a lawsuit against their former employer for unlawful firing, but the person is afraid that the employer may argue that since the person didn’t seek treatment with doctor/hospital, they failed to mitigate damages
and aren’t entitled to compensation. Would the court recognize faith in God for healing in place of going to a doctor/hospital? If so, how can the person prove their faith in God?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Good evening and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.
Claims for emotional distress are very often successfully brought without the claimant having ever sought formal treatment for their emotional injuries, or with delays in obtaining such treatment. Certainly, the defendant can try to argue that the lack/delay of formal treatment suggests the emotional injury was not real or not serious. But the claimant can always explain the delay by the fact that they first turned to spiritual treatment. This would be established through personal testimony in court, and it would be up to a jury whether they believed the testimony or not.
I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.
If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.