RESPONDER9
RESPONDER9, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with more than 20 years of expertise.
71277549

I am currently employed by the USPS and received an offer from

Customer Question

I am currently employed by the USPS and received an offer from the Navy as GS13 step 10. However, my base pay with the USPS is higher than GS13 step 10. Am I eligible for the higher of the two base pays?
Thanks,
Steve
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  RESPONDER9 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com. Thank you for being a positive user of the service. As you know, as a postal employee, the regulations are complicated. OPM does not consider USPS to be a government agency. I wish I could provide some good news, but I do not think you will qualify for what is known as retained pay meaning your pay rate will be the the same as USPS. I have attached a case where OPM ruled against retained pay when an employee moved from USPS to the VA.
http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/pay-leave/claim-decisions/decisions/2012/11-0035.pdf
You of course can appeal any decision made and I hope all of this helps. Good luck in your new job with the Navy.
Hello, You've had some time to review my answer, and I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating; these allow me to continue to serve customers. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question and keeps your payment unless you request a refund because the website charged you the full value of your question at the time an answer was provided. Thanks.