Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

My boss told me I was immature, how could I call myself a Christian,

Customer Question

My boss told me I was immature, how could I call myself a Christian, and lacked integrity, during my corporate review. Also she falsely accused me of unethical business practices and said I was under investigation. All of these statements were the first I heard. I left the job that day, which was probably what she was aiming for. But I feel like I was slandered. And cant seem to move on. Is there anything I can do to right this wrong?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the information and your question. Although I can understand your displeasure with your supervisor's tact in talking to you about their concerns with your work, unless they make this statement to a third party who is not covered by a legal privilege and there were false statements of fact (versus honest opinion), there would be no cause of action in the facts you shared. In other words, making the statements to you and putting them in your personnel record are not defamatory. However, if the employer then turns around a makes the statements to a prospective employer or someone else in the workplace and there were actual false statements of fact, then you might have a defamation of character cause of action against this person or the company.
Please feel free to ask follow up questions if you have them. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Hello again,
I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 13th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (in the pop up box, which is how we get credit (paid) for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.
In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/
Thank you.