Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
60109343

I was a contingent employee insurance months.

Customer Question

I was a contingent employee for an insurance for 9 months. a week prior to my termination I was told that I was going to begin being converted that I was a great fit for the company with a great attitude Exedra Exedra. then last week I got a phone call telling me I am terminated because I am NOT the right fit. I was offered no explanation as to why. I have never heard any negative feedback. and I have not received any feedback since. I do not understand how this is an acceptable and legal way to fire someone. please explain
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Good evening and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.
I can certainly understand your frustration with how you were treated. However, it is legal because employment in the state of Kansas is "at will" absent an express agreement to the contrary. At will employment can be terminated for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination is fair, reasonable or even true.
So, an employee can be terminated even if they have been told that they would have a full time position, and even if their feedback has always been positive. From a legal standpoint, these things are irrelevant because an employee is not legally obligated to do what is fair or reasonable.
I wish that I could tell you that what you have described is illegal, but it simply is not. Nonetheless, I hope that you appreciate my explanation as to why and that it enables you to move on in your search for new employment. An individual in your circumstance should be eligible for unemployment benefits until you find another job.
Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further. If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you.
Very best wishes moving forward.
Hello again,
I just wanted to followup with you to make sure that you did not have any further questions or concerns. For some unknown reason, the experts are not always getting replies or ratings (which is how we get credit for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not yet received either. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the site administrator.
In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed.
Very best wishes.