Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  More than 20 years of experience practicing law.
10707909

Can I get my accrued vacation of 60 hours at termination in

Customer Question

can I get my accrued vacation of 60 hours at termination in the state of NV
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regardAre you being terminated or laid off or are you quitting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This was a downsizing, it was termed as a lay off.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On the form it was listed as an involuntary termination with the reason being "lay off"
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Thank YouNevada statutes do not provide for an employer to have to pay for unused accrued vacation time. However, the 9th Circuit has ruled that that terminated workers must be paid for accrued, unused vacation time. “Payment for accrued … time is commonly considered a form of deferred compensation" You can read the case here for reference in case you want to bring the matter to court.Generally, there is some payment as part of a severance pay package when there is a lay off or involuntary termination
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Please NOTE that I can only provide informational answers to what you askTherefore, if you have other questions or need clarification in this regard, please let me know. Otherwise, I would appreciate a Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time and information.Thank you