RESPONDER9
RESPONDER9, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with more than 20 years of expertise.
71277549

Last month I had a total abdominal hysterectomy. Necessary,

Customer Question

Last month I had a total abdominal hysterectomy. Necessary, not elective. I had only been working for this company for a few months and had elected to participate in their short term disability plan. However, they told me that since I had been with the company less than a year, they were investigating my claim. I do understand that. However, no information on this policy was ever given to me when I took this policy out. This has held up my payment as I have been off work for more than a month and now my company is also trying to terminate me. What can I do?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  RESPONDER9 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer.com. I will attempt to answer your question. First I am very sorry to see you are dealing with this unfortunate situation. You should consider calling the HR(human resources) department at work and asking for a plan summary containing information on your STD plan. This will give you some more information about your plan and how and when it pays you. You can also indicate to HR that you will send in any paperwork needed to substantiate your medical claim and apply for any leave they may offer in your case indicating you will be back as soon as permitted by your doctors. If your doctor determines you have a permanent disability, you may be eligible for a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act. However, this may affect your disability claim. It is a tough situation as your rights are limited by the short time in employment so your best course may be to try to work through this with HR.
I hope this helps and request that you take the time to rate me positively after reading this or the service will not pay me for my work. Thanks and good luck.
Expert:  RESPONDER9 replied 1 year ago.

Hello April,

You've had some time to review my answer, and I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating; these allow me to continue to serve customers. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. Otherwise, the website does not credit me with answering your question and keeps your payment unless you request a refund because the website charged you the full value of your question at the time an answer was provided. Thanks.