Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide employment and discrimination law advice in my own practice.
18572087

I violated a work policy by posting something on facebook about

Customer Question

I violated a work policy by posting something on facebook about a fellow coworkers behaviors(she was shaming a friend of mine) at work and now I am being asked to write a letter of explination in regards ***** ***** actions. I have recently, in the last year enjoyed a new positon as Amninistrative Assistant and will potentially lose that position now. How can I write and admission of guilt that might potentially save me this job?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your post. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
The answer that I will provide you with is likely not favorable, so I ask that you do not blame the messenger. In a situation where there is a violation of conduct, AND you are 'at-will' and not contractual, the employer is free to terminate as there is a basis to do so. At best you can request that the employer show leniency and point to your past successful years of service, and ask that the past be given consideration. Try to point out your past value to the company and that you can provide it again, but also consider taking full responsibility. If there is one thing that most employers respect is that if you were caught dead to rights, for you to not excuse the behavior but own it. That is likely your best option under the circumstances.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.