Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  In-House Counsel & Litigator
12711280

My sister holds a PhD and was employed Goodwin College in CT

Customer Question

My sister holds a PhD and was employed Goodwin College in CT as a Teaching Faculty and Administrative Director for Students Affairs. She was give the difficult task to mediate and solve complaints of Students against Teachers who give them poor grades etc. In a recent case a student screamed and shouted at a Teacher for a C . The matter was referred to my sister. She investigated the matter and saw the student ahd failed the same class under others and her complaints had no merits. She asked the student in an email to apologize the Faculty for screaming. Next day she was called by the HR and promptly fired saying she should not send such emails. She was showed out of the door - dumb founded not knowing really what she did wrong. Is this legal? The College is a Private college called Godwin in CT.Sincerely,S. R. M
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of employment law experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today.
The answer to your question can be complicated by a few factors, but generally speaking, the employer can fire an employee for any reason, or no reason at all.
The complicating factors are typically an employment contract which has prohibitions against this type of termination, a union contract which likewise has the same type prohibitions or violation of the employer's own policy and procedure.
Typically, the only protections we see relative to policy or procedure that require notice and an opportunity to be heard are with tenured employees (in the university setting) or in state or federal institutions which require due process hearings and the like.
If none of these factors apply to her, then unfortunately, the school has the ability to do exactly what they did (unless she feels as though they did it in violation of her civil rights against discrimination).
If she feels she was discriminated against based on her gender, age (if over 40), race, ethnicity or handicap, then she can file a claim with the EEOC over the determination to terminate her employment.
Let me know if you have any other questions.
Best wishes going forward.
Did you have any additional questions or comments? I just want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible as you move forward. Thanks!