Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

I was terminated without breaking a policy, and currently collecting

Customer Question

I was terminated without breaking a policy, and currently collecting unemployment. I found out yesterday that hr/management made everyone park at a separate door for several days-longer because I own firearms and might retaliate. I'm offended by this because I feel that they tarnished my reputation. I never made threats and I shook the hands of both members of HR that were in the termination meeting. I smiled and acted professionally. Is this defamation? Is there a case?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for the information and your question and I am sorry to read about your situation. There is no way anyone could tell you if what was actually said was defamatory without the facts from the employer's perspective. However, if you believe that the employer may an actual false statement of fact about you and that damaged your reputation, then you should sit down with a local personal injury attorney who handles non-physical injury torts and discuss the details. Once they gather more information, they can advise you as to whether they think filing suit would be successful.I can tell you that giving an honest opinion is not defamatory. Only actual false statements are. So, for example, if someone says something like "I felt uncomfortable by the employee's demeanor when they left so we might want to exercise caution for a while when coming and going from work" (or something similar), that would not be defamatory because it is not a false statement of fact. On the other hand, if they say "I know they have guns and they have made a threat before," and one or more of those statements if actually false, then that would be defamatory. Please feel free to ask for clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 5th. For some unknown reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (in the pop up box, which is how we get credit (paid) for our work) that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.