Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I have a seperation agreement from an employer and now they are sueing me and have my sev

Customer Question

I have a seperation agreement from an employer and now they are sueing me and have my sevrence pay checks sent to the courts .I moved out of state a year before I was sued and have never been served court papers.now they are having a 2nd status confernce hearing.what to do?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  wallstreetfighter replied 1 year ago.
You should hire an Attorney to appear for you in Court, or they will receive a default judgment against you, if you fail to appear, they will automatically win the case.
If possible you can try to make the Court Appearance yourself, however it is easier to retain an Attorney if you want to fight the case.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This is the second status hearing because the x employer can not show the judge that I have been served. also i cant afford an attorney and cant affod dto go back to Texas.Also what about the jurisdictionof Texas when I am full time residence ofCalifornia?
If they cannot prove service, they cannot proceed with the case, if you are a California resident, you can file a motion to dismiss on jurisdiction grounds as well. If the status conference is based on them failing to serve you, nothing has to be done on your part if service was never made.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when a civil case is filed aganist you how long can they keep fileing status conferennce hearings it will be a year in August.Plus what happens to my money that the courts are holding?
If you do not file a motion to dismiss, the court can leave the case open for several months, until service is proven.