Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

I was employed as a public school teacher until 2009. I retired

Customer Question

I was employed as a public school teacher until 2009. I retired due to health, when the school system refused to accommodate me by relieving me of non-classroom duties, due to lupus and spinal arthritis. At the time, the president of the teachers union asked me not to take action as the teachers union had a good working relationship with the school committee. I did nothing. Now, 5 years later, I am living on 33K per year and finding it very difficult. Do I have any options or is it all lost due to the time element.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
The eeoc is a federal agency charged with reviewing discrimination complaints. www.eeoc.gov is its site and you can pursue a complaint using it. you can consider but time factor is a defense. Consider local counsel reaching out to negotiate. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! I wish you the best. I trust the answer has been helpful. kindly let me know.