Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

I served my employer a resignation letter offering a 2 weeks

Customer Question

I served my employer a resignation letter offering a 2 weeks notice and the employer reads the letter then 1 hour later informs me that I need not work my notice because he was planning to fire me today anyway. By reading the letter is that not a resignation? I live in North Carolina.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
You resigned, so he can't really tell others that he fired you. If he were to tell prospective employers that you were fired, you could sue him for defamation of character. Now, that being said, the law allows an employer to refuse your notice period and make the resignation immediate. So, while he can't really convert this to a termination, he can make the resignation immediate because technically that's what a resignation with notice is. It is an immediate resignation with the offer of a notice period, which the employer isn't obliged to accept.