Delta-Lawyer
Delta-Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  In-House Counsel & Litigator
12711280

I have been employed with this company years, have

Customer Question

I have been employed with this company for five years, have never had reprimands, have never refused any jobs given to me despite the equipment and personnel provided by the company. I learned a couple of weeks ago that I another foreman were supposed to fired. I have giving my full loyalty for the five years and have been put down and mentally tormented in some cases that can backed up by other employees if so needed. I would just like to know what or if I have any recourse since they may now be planning to give me a permanent layoff.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Delta-Lawyer replied 1 year ago.
I hope this message finds you well, present circumstances excluded. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of employment law experience. It is a pleasure to assist you today. If you do not have an employment contract or union contract in place to protect you, then you are considered to be employed at will. This unfortunately means that you can be terminated for any reason, or no reason at all. That said, if you feel that this impending termination of your employment results from discrimination based on your age (if over 40), race, gender or ethinicity, then you do have a potential cause of action in the federal courts through the EEOC. Otherwise, it is unfortunately permissible for them to take this action and there are not any real legal options. If you are laid off and it is not for cause, then you should be eligible for unemployment coverage....a small bright spot, but perhaps enough room to allow you to gain other employment. Let me know if you have any other questions. Best wishes going forward.
Did you have any other questions or comments? I want to make sure you are as comfortable as possible moving forward. Thanks!