Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  25 yrs. of experience in employment law, real estate and business law, family law, criminal defense and immigration.
20073497

My company is going through open enrollment for our benefits

My company is going through open enrollment for our benefits this year and I was wondering how confidential my information is that I provide. I was recently married to a woman that I know my boss doesn't approve of and was wondering if he would have access to my information? He is the CEO and the VP of HR reports directly to him so not sure if he could just tell him the information. is there something I should do to have this information kept in confidence?
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Andrea, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help,

You asked,

" I was wondering how confidential my information is that I provide. I was recently married to a woman that I know my boss doesn't approve of and was wondering if he would have access to my information?"

Answer

The forms you fill out in order to enroll in a medical benefits plan are confidential and the employee and the department which are responsible for conveying this information to the health insurance carrier are required to protect the confidentiality of this information. Being a CEO does not give the individual the right to look at the private medical information and histories of the employees. There is no reason that I can think of off hand why a CEO would look into your files and read this confidential information. If he ever does request to look at your files without reason, he will have breached your rights to privacy and you will find out eventually.

I have just told you how things are supposed to be. Asking an outsider, "How secure are my files" is really not a question that anybody outside of your company can answer. But, I am sure that the CEO has enough to do without snooping into employees' personal medical information files,

Please be kind enough to rate Excellent Service" so that I receive credit for assisting you, it will not cost you anything additional to leave a positive rating, and that is the only way I can receive credit, Thank you for understanding,

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, Please rate a 10 as it gives me a greater opportunity to assist other customers on this website and is greatly appreciated,

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you,

ANDREA

Andrea, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: 25 yrs. of experience in employment law, real estate and business law, family law, criminal defense and immigration.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

True, he is busy. However, I report directly into the CEO as a VP. I hope it doesn't happen but we'll see. Thank you.

You are welcome, Hector, Please do not forget to leave a rating because without it, I will not receive credit for my time and effort in assisting you,

ANDREA