wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits
16356563

I believe that the manager of my complex wants my daughter

I believe that the manager of my complex wants my daughter and I to move because my daughter is bipolar and many people who do not understand this sickness is complaining to the manager about her behavior. we have been living there for twelve years. My daughter is not a threat to anyone, not even to herself. Can she evict us because of her sickness?

wallstreetfighter :

Hello and welcome. My name isXXXXX am a Licensed practicing attorney and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

wallstreetfighter :

Your daughter cannot be evicted for this reason,

wallstreetfighter :

it would be a clear violation of the SC fair housing laws,

wallstreetfighter :

he South Carolina Fair Housing Law makes it illegal to discriminate in housing because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental handicaps, or familial status (families with children). The law applies to the sale, rental and financing of residential housing. Apartments, houses, mobile homes; and, even vacant lots to be used for housing, are covered by the Fair Housing Law. With a few exceptions, anyone who has control over residential property and real estate financing must obey the law. This includes rental managers, property owners, real estate agents, landlords, banks, developers, builders and individual homeowners who are selling or renting their property.