Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

I was shocked to find that I was off from my job of 42

I was shocked to find that I was laid off from my job of 42 years on July 23 2013. A few weeks before this I requested to make a withdrawal from my profit sharing to pay for my granddaughters college. I received severance pay and vacation pay until oct 3 2013. I filed for unemployment on oct6 2013. I actually received the profit sharing check on July 31 2013. Was I required to report this income. It really never occurred to me to report it since I requested the withdrawal when I was still employed and long before I filed for unemployment.

Ray :

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray and will be the expert assisting you this evening.

Ray :

Here if the payment was received well before you filed for unemployment in Oct. 2013 it would not be necessary to report it.If you receive any more income here or work at all even part time you would report it here in the future.But the check was received well prior here on July 31, 2013 and would not need to be reported for UI purposes since it was before you filed.

Ray :

This should not cause you any UI problems since it was prior to you filing for UI benefits.

Ray :

Again only if you have wages or other income after filing would you need to report the changes..as per Ohio UI..

Ray :

"You must report earnings for any work performed and any income paid or payable to you while you are claiming unemployment benefits. If you work part-time, are self-employed or perform odd jobs during the weeks that you file for unemployment benefits, you may still be paid benefits if your gross earnings are less than your weekly benefit amount. Gross earnings are your total earnings before any taxes or deductions are taken out. You must report gross earnings for the week (Sunday through Saturday) in which they are earned, even if you have not yet been paid. If your earnings are less than your weekly benefit amount, Ohio law allows you an exemption of 20 percent of your weekly benefit amount before a deduction is made."

Ray :

It does not appear this would have needed to be reported and should not have any effect on benefits since it was prior here to your filing your claim

Ray :

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Please let me know if you have more follow up.Thanks again.

Customer: Thank you
Ray :

You are so welcome.

Ray :

If you can leave a positive rating it is always much appreciated.

Ray :

Good evening to you.