wallstreetfighter
wallstreetfighter, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  14 years exp, General counsel for National Corp. firms, Hostos College instructor, Represented employees in discrimination lawsuits
16356563

I was called into the bosss office and was being reprimanded

I was called into the boss's office and was being reprimanded for eating ice-cream in the dining room and I recorded the conversation. I put a piece of the conversation on insta-gram. Our faces were not seen in the insta-gram. Can I be fired for this?????? This boss is older than me (30 something, Male), Me 19 Female. When he first met me, he told me that I wouldn't be working there long because he could tell from my body language. I told him that if I didn't want the job, I wouldn't keep coming back. I have been recently diagnosed with Severe Hyperthyroidism and Graves disease. There are 2 waitresses there that are mean to me and call me stupid, and make fun of my eyes. They even put honey in my hair. I have now been fired. IS there something I can do legally?

wallstreetfighter :

Hello and welcome. My name isXXXXX am a Licensed practicing attorney and my goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

wallstreetfighter :

This is an unfortunate situation,

wallstreetfighter :

if you feel the termination was due to your race, disability, age or gender, you can file a discrimination complaint against the employer,

wallstreetfighter :

if not, you would not have any other legal action,

wallstreetfighter :

as Mass is an at will State, and an employer can terminate you for any reason,

wallstreetfighter :

The honey incident is serious, and if you feel this was done by the employer due to your disability, gender or other protected civil right you should consider filing a civil rights complaint for a hostile work environment.

wallstreetfighter :

Discrimination/Harassment - State Agency

Massachusetts Commission Against Discrimination (MCAD)

Boston
One Ashburton Place
Rm. 601
Boston, MANNN-NN-NNNN
Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Springfield
436 Dwight Street
Rm. 220
Springfield, MA 01103
Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/td>
Worcester
Worcester City Hall
455 Main St. Room 100
Worcester, MA 01608
Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN

New Bedford
800 Purchase St.
Room 501
New Bedford, MA 02740
Phone:(NNN) NNN-NNNN/td>

Web Address: http://www.mass.gov/mcad/

wallstreetfighter :

You would file a complaint at the above local office against your employer.

Customer:

This boss was recently hired and I feel that I was discriminated against because of the effects of my illness.

Customer:

I am going to file Discrimination/harassment.

wallstreetfighter :

the disability issue would have to be argued,

wallstreetfighter :

if you can show the employer knew of your medical condition,

wallstreetfighter :

and the hostile environment was due to the medical condition and disability,

wallstreetfighter :

that would be a violation of the civil rights laws,

Customer:

This boss was informed of my illness after he took the job. The previous boss hired me knowing of my illness and worked with me to succeed. This new boss told my co-workers that maybe I shouldn't work while I am sick, or I should work in the back.

wallstreetfighter :

If they knew of your medical condition, and it is severe enough to be considered a disability, you may have a strong hostile work environment lawsuit,

wallstreetfighter :

and you should first file a civil rights complaint,

wallstreetfighter :

and they will try to mediate the matter first with the employer,

wallstreetfighter :

and if that fails, they could allow you to bring a lawsuit

wallstreetfighter :

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Customer:

All the managers in the Hotel said I did a great job, and how impressed they were with me when it was busy. This new boss has been there about 1 month and I feel like he targeted me. All he did was stare at me from a distance, and if he spoke to me he never looked at me. I believe he was out to fire me from his first day. He accused me of tearing his sidework sheet off the wall and he gave my Friday Night shift away because of it, But I wasn't the one who tore the sheet down.

wallstreetfighter :

You should send a letter to the HR and state that you will be filing the complaint and in many cases, the HR office may try to settle the matter as well,

Customer:

Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX start there first. Even though I am no longer working there, I don't think I should have been fired. I was never given a handbook and I didn't know that putting a conversation on insta-gram is illegal.

wallstreetfighter :

If they fight your unemployment benefits, you should state that

wallstreetfighter :

you did not know of any rule against it,

wallstreetfighter :

and the termination was based on your disability and medical condition not any post you made,

wallstreetfighter :

Good luck, and if satisfied with our service please provide us with positive feedback, thank you

Customer:

Thank You, XXXXX XXXXX helped me. I am going to follow through with this.